The floor is a Bowl-shaped portion of the body comprising muscles and other non-muscular soft tissues located in the lower pelvis. It supports the abdominal muscles, facilitates urinary and bowel continence and assists in satisfaction.
Physical Therapy and the Pelvic Floor
Through the movement that is normal and stresses related to daily living, the pelvic floor can weaken and become lax. Additionally it is an area which could carry stress and tension. Physical therapy can often break into those dysfunctional cycles with instruction, behavior modification, exercises and modalities to ease normal coordination of pelvic floor muscles. An evaluation includes an extensive history interview, evaluation of extremities and the spine, biofeedback evaluation of the pelvic floor muscles and abdominal muscles, education, an internal pelvic floor assessment and initiation of a home program of exercises.
Pelvic Floor Conditions
- Urgency: Urinary and/or bowel urgency is a powerful need to emptiness that might cause incontinence loss of urine or bowel if a toilet is not located in a timely way. Increased muscular tone/tension in the pelvic floor usually causes urgency.
- Urge incontinence: Urinary and/or gut urge incontinence is the loss of urine or gut due to inability to restrain urgency. Urge incontinence is caused by increased muscle tone/tension and weakness in the pelvic floor muscles.
- Stress incontinence: Urinary and/or gut stress incontinence is the loss of urine or gut with activities that increase pressure in the gut such as coughing, sneezing, laughing, jumping or running. Stress incontinence may be caused by weakness of the pelvic floor muscles and lack of coordination of the muscles and the pelvic floor muscles.
- Constipation: A diminished ability to move gut. This may be caused by increased muscle tone/tension; lack of coordination of abdominal muscles and the pelvic floor; strength that was inferior.
- Pelvic pain: May pose as pain when sitting, pain with sexual intercourse, pain in the genital areas, abdominal area, tailbone or buttocks areas. Pain can pose as thickness, stress or stinging. Increased muscle tone/tension/spasm from the floor often causes pain.
Female’s wellness and floor as well as continence specialize in pelvic physiotherapy toronto exercises. They customize a health and fitness program to fulfill your requirements and also can evaluate your pelvic floor feature. They can recommend treatment options like psycho physiological feedback and also talk about lifestyle elements that matter.